by Richard Long,
Praying for government means we need to also pray for our Supreme Court. We find that the 2 statues in front of the building serve as excellent prophetic symbols about how we need to pray for Justice and Truth. Here’s the official story about them.
At the entrance of the building are two bronze statues, 3 metres in height,
which were erected in 1970. The statue on the right side is named Iusticia
(JUSTICE) and holds a partially hidden sword. The statue on the left side is
named Veritas (TRUTH) and holds a book inscribed “Veritas”. They are ten
feet tall set on granite bases so that they stand at the base line of the
building. They are set in front of the projecting bays but not aligned with
the secondary axes.
These statues were created by the prominent sculptor Walter S. Allward of
Toronto. In 1912, he was commissioned to sculpt a memorial of King Edward
VII of Britain. The allegorical figures of Truth and Justice were chosen to
be part of this memorial because Allward hoped that “…through Truth and
Justice war might cease, and Peace descend over the earth.”
By 1920, Allward had completed the plaster version of the statues Truth and
Justice. That same year he was commissioned to sculpt the Vimy Ridge
Memorial in France. Before he left, Allward made alloy casts of the two
figures that were to be stored until the rest of the huge memorial could be
completed. The memorial to Edward VII was never completed. Truth and Justice
were forgotten until 1969, when the crated statues were found buried under a
Department of Public Works parking lot. The hilt of Justice’s sword had been
damaged and a new one was sculpted by Eleanor Milne of Wakefield, Québec.
The statues were placed in their new location, on the steps of the SCC
building, in August 1970.